Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Calm before the Storm?


I wouldn't normally consider myself to be a sappy kind of person, but this week has been one of deep reflection for me.
It seems my classes are "speaking" to me personally in their content,
and normal stressful situations have somehow transformed into feelings of peace.
I finally feel confident with my direction and motivation in life.
 
So I think..what is going on? I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop or something. I'm immediately suspicious....but I'm not sure of what. Is this like the calm before the storm?
Please tell me I'm not the only one that has experienced this. Comment anyone?
 
Contributing to these warm feelings were the people who surrounded me this weekend.
My two sister-in-laws and I planned a "surprise" 40th anniversary party for my husbands parents.
And although they eventually did figure it out, *AHEM, my MIL actually* they did have a great time!
We had wonderful family and friends that came to share in their celebration.
 
40 years.
Wow, unbelievable.
I can only hope that in 30 more years B and I will still be that completely in love.
B did surprise me with a love note Thursday night. 
It read: To my favorite person, from yours. I love you.
I think we are on the right track ;)

 So one of my biggest party-planning responsibilities was "The Cake".
Tired with the idea of trying to recreate a photo I found, instead I created this...
and I think it turned out right nice! *pat, pat*
(I totally love it actually, but I love roses and the greenery.)
And my in-laws loved it too. *Whew!* I was so unbelievably nervous.

And during all of the craziness of setting up tables, stacking the cake tiers, decorating, running to the store for last second supplies etc. my parents volunteered to help me by doing my mom thing...
driving N around all over town. 
First art camp, then lunch, then her cheerleading game etc etc.
I think they were more tired than she was!
 
How very blessed I am to have the family I do. Seriously. 
Squeeze your babies, kiss your spouse, and just saturate yourself with the thoughts of your blessings.

~heather



6 comments:

  1. You big sap! Awesome job on the cake btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm scaring myself and anyone following my blog is probably puking LOL! Oh well, I do have my moments ~ when love is in the air... =) And thank you! Now, I'm jonesing for a piece of cake with my coffee this morning

      Delete
  2. You did a wonderful job! I love love love that cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Erin! I was so nervous stacking it together--you would never think that Cake would be so darn heavy! My mind was thinking, "please don't cave in!" It was all good =)

      Delete
  3. Dude - that is me constantly. I just feel like I've been a little TOO blessed, I'm a little TOO happy... when is the floor going to fall out from under me? It seems everyone around me has bad news or struggles, and I'm just floating through. I try really hard to just live in the moment and be thankful without worrying about what's around the corner. But you're not alone!
    And that cake?? Unbelievable!!! Sure you didn't miss your calling there? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol-thanks! I'm not sure my back could hold up making cakes for a living. But I'm always doing something so I'll continue making them on the side. I'm glad I'm not the only one-One day at a time and be thankful for it. Been working for me right nice! Thanks for the feedback =)

    ReplyDelete